May 18, 2010, 1.10 PM -
I am writing this blog after witnessing 2.5 months of extreme 20-20 cricket,
Thanks to IPL and Lalit Modi entire India was perplexed with watching cricket during prime time and witnessing heroics of super cricketers from all across the world on a daily basis. Every day is a new challenge for IPL teams and yesterday's performance never matters , You are only as good as your today's performance. IPL has attracted cricketers from all across the world and is being touted as the best alternative of spreading cricket in more countries, IPL attracts everything , starting from the bidding process in which Pakistani players where not included till the point when IMG-IPL deal was under the question. IPL has become like surrogated baby for media people where in they have forgotten their real baby - that is spreading the news.
Well , here my intention is to just analyse IPL and world cups and I will just concentrate on that instead of dwelling into the politicization of IPL.
If we sit and analyse we get to know some of the most interesting trends common in these two super tournaments, lets have a look -
1. Only two teams so far have qualified for finals of both tournament - Pakistan for t20 and CSK for IPL.
2. The team which won Inaugural IPL & ICC t20 world cup were not able to advance to semis in next two edition, India in world cup and Rajsthan Royals in IPL
3. Mumbai Indians and Australia show similar resurgence- crashing out two times and finally entering into tournament finals to eventually crash out, remember both were favorite to win but they did one final blunder in finals. Like Australia , Mumbai Indians won most of their matches in first round.
4. If we look closely at England and CSK's final win , Man of the final were their one down batsman - Pietersen and Suresh Raina, who managed to attack & change the stat in favor of their team.More or less both the teams depended heavily on 1 down batsman to score runs.
5. CSK and England both got a new opening batsman in Craig Kieswetter and Murali Vijay, Both were just a big factor in winning the match.
6. Srilanka and Royal Challenger Bangalore are the only team to reach final once and then entering semis next year to crash out again.
More to be added if similar trends found !!